Saturday, February 19, 2005

Sam Storms: One Thing

Realized that I forgot to post my completion of Sam Storms' great little book, One Thing. Finished it probably a month ago, actually. Much of it was Piper reloaded, but Sam adds a level of richness and personal warmth that is often hard to find in Piper's written work.

I particularly appreciated the imagery of Jason and Odysseus navigating the Scylla and Charybdis. Hopefully I will continually bring that picture to mind, it is the difference between saving Joy and cold moralism. Thank you, Dr. Storms, for bringing the truth of Christian Hedonism further in and deeper down into the heart and soul.

Great chapters on the bigness and smallness of creation. Really good stuff--and something I'd give out to people en masse had I the funds.

---
Also a big thank you to Dr. Storms for the personal emails he sent helping me to make some rather important decisions. That he would take the time to do that is truly remarkable. I wish I could've studied under him at Wheaton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home